Career Options after M.Sc. Maths in 2023
Career options after M.Sc. Maths are many because during the 2-year comprehensive study of M.Sc. Mathematics, the students get tremendous exposure to the core mathematical principles which are extensively used in business processes to strategize future business plans.
Career options after M.Sc. Maths are multipronged for it provides insight into advanced applied mathematics and also prepare the students for pursuing further research.
An array of career options after M.Sc. Maths are available as the students get the core knowledge of the subjects that include the theory of differential equations, advanced abstract Algebra, Calculus of Variation and Integral Equation, Topology or rubber-sheet geometry studying the Euler characteristics of the number of vertices, edges, and faces of an object, Mechanics, Optimization, Discrete Mathematics, Elementary Real Analysis, Mathematical Methods, Operations Research, Numerical Analysis, Statistical Inference, and Applications & Nonlinear Optimization, etc.
Scope after M.Sc. Maths
- Equipped with the core learning, during the 2-year exhaustive journey of Masters of Science(M.Sc. Mathematics), the Career options after M.Sc. Maths includes the assignment as an Actuarial Scientist analyzing the financial costs of risks and uncertainties that help businesses strategies to reduce the cost of the risks.
- Insurance and Banking sectors afford a plethora of job opportunities after M.Sc. Both the private and public sectors are actively in the fray. The Banking and Insurance sectors provide various Career options after M.Sc. Maths as M.Sc. Maths degree holders have multiple avenues to join big firms as Data analysts, Estimators, or as Data Scientists.
- For those students who have a knack for solving complex numerals, there are bright Career options after M.Sc. Maths to assume the role of a Numerical Analyst.
- Career options after M.Sc. Maths also includes the noble profession of teaching. The scope after M.Sc. Maths include taking the mantle of a teacher in Schools, Colleges, and Universities.
- M. Sc. Maths career options also include getting a B. Ed degree. After earning a B.Ed. degree, one can become a school teacher.
- Those who wish to be a Lecturer/Professor at the College or University level, need to clear the UGC NET examination.
- Amongst the career options after M.Sc. Maths, one option is to join or open private coaching institutes to impart learning to the students aspiring for good grades in school and other competitive examinations.
M.Sc. Mathematics jobs in MNC companies are plentiful. Given the core knowledge and command over algorithms and computer languages and mathematical tools and techniques, M.Sc. Mathematics jobs in MNC companies are available to degree holders in various sectors.
Job opportunities after M.Sc are there in the potential sectors e.g. Aerospace, Shipping, Big data analytics, Market Research firms, Pharmaceutical, Healthcare, Firms engaged in Economic Socio-political Analysis, Manufacturing firms, Banking & Finance, Investment Banking, and the like.
There is no dearth of M.Sc. Mathematics jobs in MNC companies. M. Sc. Maths career options include joining a reputed firm as Data Analyst, Data Scientist, Business Analyst, Financial Analyst, Operation Manager, Credit Analyst, or Researcher.
M. Sc. Maths career options are enormous which reminds us of Srinivasa Ramanujan the father of Indian Mathematics & Satyendra Nath Bose.
The subject of Mathematics is such a dynamic one that it needs a pragmatic, thorough, and innovative mind. The scope after M.Sc. Maths is tremendous where the sky's the limit. M. Sc. Maths career options are much wider that have the potential to fetch one earn global acclaim and recognition by transcending geographical boundaries.
Scope after M.Sc. Maths in Government Sector:
Job opportunities after the M.Sc. are provided by various scientific organizations of repute like the Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO), Indian Space Research Organisation(ISRO), and Indian Institute of Science(IISc.). These reputed Organisations invite applications for filling in the posts such as Data Analysts.
For Government jobs after M.Sc. Mathematics, the eligibility prescribed for the aforesaid recruitments is a Masters's degree in Statistics or Mathematics.
Government jobs after M.Sc. Mathematics at times prescribes additional eligibility qualifications of excellent quantitative skills including statistical analyses and mathematical modeling in R or other tools.
The scope for Maths career options increases manifold for those persons who aspire to serve the country by taking jobs of responsibilities in the Government Sector as the combined Civil Services examination affords varied career options after M.Sc. Maths by their exceptional skills stand a fair chance to achieve their goals.
Career options after M.Sc. Maths includes the most ambitious career opportunity amongst studious students is to write civil services examinations conducted by the Union Public Service Commission.
It is needless to mention that career options after M.Sc. Maths include a long list of prestigious services that one longs for to serve the motherland.
Based on merit and choice, the successful candidates can be a member of the fraternity of the following august services:-
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
- Indian Police Service (IPS)
- Indian Foreign Service (IFS)
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service (IAAS)
- Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS)
- Indian Information Service (IIS)
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service (IOFS)
- Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS)
- Indian Revenue Service (IRS)
- Indian Trade Service (ITS)
- Railway Protection Force (RPF) & Group ‘B’ Civil Services-Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service
- Pondicherry Civil Service & Pondicherry Police Service
1. Government jobs after M.Sc. Mathematics also includes the opportunity to join the prestigious Reserve Bank of India. The RBI conducts Grade B officer examinations from time to time to fill vacancies occurring in various departments including that in the Statistical Wing.
2. In the list of Job opportunities after an M.Sc, another lucrative opportunity to opt for Government jobs after M.Sc. Mathematics is the Securities and Exchange Board of India(SEBI), a statutory body established by an Act of Parliament, to protect the interests of investors in securities, and to promote the development of and to regulate the securities market.
The SEBI examines recruitment to Officer Grade A posts wherein the eligibility prescribed is the Master's degree. The maximum age limit prescribed for applying for a general category candidate in SEBI is 30 years.
After M.Sc. Which Course is Best?
Those students who have a bent of mind towards mathematical research and have passion, often ask themselves- After M.Sc. which course is best for them?
The Master of Philosophy and The Doctoral Studies Programmes aim at broadening the understanding of the students and equipping them to do mathematical research.
Those students who have a natural flair to deal with algebra and calculus and statistics and algorithms, find Career options after their M.Sc. Maths in the form of pursuing research in Mathematics.
Whenever someone solicits the answer to the question- After M.Sc. which course is best, the names of leading Universities in India come to mind automatically. Students, who have an intense desire to undertake research may consider pursuing either M.Phil or Ph.D. The quest of the students- After M.Sc.
Doctoral Programmes Offered by the Leading Universities and Institutions in India
1. Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
Those students who seek answers to the question, occasionally haunting their minds- After M.Sc. which course is best, find a plausible answer by getting a cost-effective opportunity of earning a Doctor of Philosophy in Mathematics degree from the Indira Gandhi National Open University(GNOU). For this Doctorate, one can earn a Minimum Duration of 3 Years; Maximum Duration: 6 Years. Neither the minimum nor the maximum Age is prescribed for doing doctorate.
Eligibility Prescribed by IGNOU to Pursue Doctorate:
A person having a Master’s Degree from a University recognized by UGC or any other qualification recognized as equivalent thereto with at least 55% marks [50% marks in the case of reserved categories candidates.
The applicants need to qualify the entrance examination conducted by IGNOU which is followed by Interview/Presentation.
Course Fee Structure:
Ph.D. (With course work) - Rs. 17,850/- (1st year) (Rs.8,400 for registration fee + Rs.8,400 for course work + Rs.1050 for additional two credit course work for Research and Publication Ethics). Rs. 8,400 per year is charged as Re-Registration till the thesis submission/ maximum duration prescribed whichever is earlier. Ph.D. (Without coursework)- Rs. 9,450/- (1st year) (Registration Fee along with Rs.1050 for additional two credit course work for Research and Publication Ethics).
Rs. 8,400/ per year is charged as Re-Registration till the thesis submission/ maximum duration prescribed whichever is earlier.
2. Graphic Era University
The Ph.D. program is of 3 years, however, depending upon the effort put in by the scholar in the research and thesis writing, it may take 4-6 years to complete the doctorate program.
The Ph.D. programmes aim to equip research scholars for a career in research and teaching in mathematics and other professional careers.
During the research, the principles of pure and applied mathematics, algebra, analysis, geometry, topology, number theory, probability theory, etc. are extensively used, and based on the analytical findings, the research scholars prepare a Thesis that is subjected to scrutiny by a panel of experts.
Eligibility of the Ph.D. in Mathematics:
- Master’s Degree from any AIU/UGC/AICTE recognized University/Institution or any other qualification recognized as equivalent thereto in the fields of study notified from time to time by the University. 55% or above marks or CGPA of 5.5/10 in the qualifying examination (50% marks or CGPA of 5.0/10 for the reserved category candidates).
- Candidates who have completed the M.Phil. programme with an Aggregate of 55% or more marks. (Relaxation of 5% marks for reserved category candidates based on the decision of the Commission)
GATE/NET/SLET scores or a written test score followed by an interview by the University, are taken into account while processing admission to the program.
Entrance Test Details:
The Entrance test will (100 marks) consist of 2hr of MCQ of two sections–Research Methodology (50%) and Subject Specific (50%) (as per GATE/UGC NET syllabus).
The qualifying mark in the Entrance test is 50% followed by an Interview(50 marks) to discuss the research interest/project before the duly constituted Department Research Committee.
The Areas of Research during the Ph. D. in Mathematics:
- Operations Research and Optimization
- Mathematical Modelling
- Reliability theory
- Inventory Control
- Supply Chain
- Differential equations
- Analytical solution
- Lie group theory
- Numerical methods
- Boundary Layer Theory
- Image processing and computer vision
- Operations Research & Reliability
Programme Fee Structure:
Total Fee for First Semester: Full Time : Rs. 55,400; Part Time(External): Rs. 50,750; Part Time(Internal): Rs. 28,750/-
Total Fee for Second Semester Onwards: Full time : Rs 39,900; Part-time(External): Rs35,250; Part Time(Internal): Rs13,250/-
Research Associateship/ Fellowship:
Graphic Era University awards Associateships /Fellowships to the research scholars(Full time) as under:-
- Fellowship of Rs. 36,000/- per month to valid: UGC -JRF / CSIR– NET/ INSPIRE/ GATE to full time research scholars.
- Institutional fellowship of Rs. 32,000/- per month to Full time merit position holders in the entrance examination.
- UGC NET qualifiers may get exemption from writing the test, however,f Rs. 32,000/- per month shall be awarded only to those merit position holders in the entrance examination.
- Scholarship will be extended based on Semester-wise performance.
- Additional fund up to Rs. 2 lacs/year to UGC - JRF / CSIR – NET/INSPIRE/ GATE research scholars(full time).
3. Uttaranchal University
Uttaranchal University, Dehradun, established vide Uttaranchal University Act, 2012, offers doctoral programs in Mathematics.
Eligibility of the M.Phil Degree:
- An applicant must possess a 2-year/4-semester master’s degree or equivalent in the concerned or allied subject with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade on a point scale wherever the grading system is followed.
- A 1-year/2-semester master’s degree or equivalent in the concerned or allied subject with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed after a 4-year Bachelor’s degree Program.
- bachelor’s degree of 4 years or equivalent in the allied subject with 75% or more marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade.
- M.Phil. degree with 55% or more marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade.
- A relaxation of 5% marks to the candidates belonging to reserved categories may be given.
Exemption from Entrance Examination:
UGC-NET/UGC-CSIR NET/GATE/CEED scholarship grantees are exempted from appearing in the Entrance Test.
Program Duration :
Full Time: 3 Years Minimum
Part Time: 3 Years 6 Months Minimum
Course Fee Structure:
The course fee is in the range of Rs. 3 Lakhs for the Ph.D. in Mathematics.
Uttaranchal University assigns pre-Ph.D course work to the research scholars requiring them to undergo comprehensive course modules to make the Research Scholars familiar with the following core aspects:-
- Research Methodology
- Seminar Presentation
- Research and Publication Ethics
- Advanced Applied Mathematics
- Advanced Pure Mathematics & Computer
- Stats Application Research
The details of the pre-Ph.D. work in respect of Advanced Applied Mathematics, Advanced Pure Mathematics & Computer & Stats Application Research are detailed herein below to make the aspiring research scholars aware of the level of commitment.
Course Name Advanced Applied Mathematics
Operations Research (Total Topics -7 and Hrs-7): Linear programming problems, simplex methods, duality, Elementary queuing and inventory models, and Steady-state solutions of Markovian queuing models (M/M/1): (N/∞), (M/M/C): (∞/∞). Replacement theory, Job and sequence.
Differential Equations (Total Topics -7 and Hrs-8): First order ordinary differential equations, singular solutions, initial value problem of first order ODE, General theory of homogeneous and non-homogeneous linear ODE, Elementary PDE, equation solvable by direct integration, non-linear equations of first order, Charpit’s method.
Numerical Methods (Total Topics -6 and Hrs-7): Finite difference method for elliptic, parabolic and hyperbolic problems. Stability, Consistency, and convergence of finite difference schemes, Solution of a system of linear equations, finite element methods for boundary value problems of ordinary and partial differential equations.
Graph Theory (Total Topics -22 and Hrs-10): Introduction of Graph, Types of graphs, Operations on graphs, Hamiltonian paths and circuits, Directed graphs, Types of digraphs, Digraphs and binary relations, Directed paths and Connectedness, Euler Digraphs, Tree, Incidence matrix, Submatrix of A(G), Circuit matrix, Fundamental circuit matrix and rank of B, Cut-sets matrix, Path matrix and Adjacency matrix. Chromatic number, Chromatic partitioning, Chromatic polynomial, Matching, Coverings, Four Color problem, Five-colour theorem.
Fuzzy Mathematics (Total Topics -26 and Hrs-11): Crisp sets, Fuzzy sets, representation of Fuzzy sets, Basic operations on fuzzy sets, Fuzzy convex sets, α cuts, additional properties of α cuts, Decomposition theorems, Extensions principal for fuzzy sets, and related theorems. Fuzzy Complements, Equilibrium of a fuzzy complement, Theorems on Fuzzy complement, characteristic Theorem for the fuzzy complement, fuzzy intersection, Drastic intersection, fuzzy unions, Drastic union, theorems on t conforms, combination.
Course Name Advanced Pure Mathematics
Real Analysis (Total Topics -15 and Hrs-9): Existence of Riemann-Stieltjes integral, Conditions for R-S integrability, Properties of the R-S integral, R-S integrability of functions of a function, Integration of vector valued functions, Rectifiable curves, Sequences and series of functions, pointwise and uniform convergence, Cauchy’s criterion for uniform convergence, Weierstrass M-test, Abel’s and Dirichlet’s tests for uniform convergence, uniform convergence and continuity, uniform convergence and Riemann-Stieltjes integration, uniform convergence and differentiation, Power series.
Complex Analysis (Total Topics -12 and Hrs-8): Complex Integration, Expansion of a complex function as power series, Taylor’s and Laurent’s series, Singularities and their Classifications, Residue, Cauchy Residue Theorem, Application of Residue Theorem in evaluation of proper and improper real Integrals and evaluation of sums, Conformal Mapping properties, Mobius Transformation, Elementary examples, Maximum Modulus Theorem, Mittag-Leffer Theorem.
Algebr (Total Topics -14 and Hrs-8): Class equation and conjugacy classes, Cauchy’s theorem for finite abelian and nonabelian groups, Sylow’s Ist ,IInd and IIIrd theorems, The normal series and composition series External and internal direct products, Ideals, Principal ideals, Quotient rings, fundamental theorem on homomorphism and isomorphism, Prime and maximal ideals, Ring of polynomials, Factorization of polynomials over a field, Factorization theorem in integral domain, Euclidean domain.
Topology (Total Topics -22 and Hrs-9): Metric space, open sets, closed sets, convergence, completeness, continuity in metric space, elementary concept, the basis for a topology, open and closed sets, interior and closure of sets, a neighborhood of a point, limit points, the boundary of a set, Topological space, subspace topology, Continuous functions, continuity theorem for open and closed sets, Connectedness, local connectedness, compactness, finite intersection property, uniform continuity, Bolzano Weierstrass property, local compactness.
Theory of Measure (Total Topics -11 and Hrs-10): Bounded variation functions, differentiation theorem- Lebesgue, differentiation and integration, absolute continuity of functions, Measures and Outer measures, measure spaces, The Lp spaces Holder and Murkowski inequalities, completeness of Lp spaces, convergence in measure, almost uniform convergence, Egorov’s theorem.
Course Name Computer & Stats Application in Research
Characteristics of Computers, Evolution of computers, computer memory, computer generations, Basic computer organization; System software, Application software, introduction to the operating system, single user, multi-user, multitasking single-tasking, application of computer for business research, MS-windows, Linux -Internet in research: INFLIBNET, Internet use, sights (DOAJ), E-Journals, E-library, EBSCO HOST online database of Academic Libraries.
Computer Applications in Research, Computer concepts, Internet for Research Purposes: E-mail, WWW, Web browsing, technical skills, Analysis of data, Research publishing tools-MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, Graphics tool-MS Excel, Presentation tool-MS Power, Data Analysis Software and Analysis Techniques point. Creating presentation and adding effects, Introduction to Data analysis software-SPSS: Definition, objectives and features, data analysis using SPSS.
Statistical methods for research application in the analysis of data, Measurement in Research, data interpretation, Measures of Central Tendency, Measures of Dispersion, Measures of Asymmetry (Skewness), standard deviation, Measures of Relationship, Simple Regression Analysis, Correlation and Regression, Partial Correlation.
Statistical Tools-Hypothesis and Hypothesis Testing: Parametric & Non-Parametric Tests, Important Parametric Tests, Hypothesis Testing of Correlation Coefficients, U Test, Chi-Square Test, T-Test. Analysis of Variance (ANOVA), The Basic Principle of ANOVA, ANOVA Technique, Setting up Analysis of Variance Table, Short-cut Method for One-way ANOVA, Coding Method, Two-way ANOVA.
Other Institutes Offering Ph.D. Programme in Mathematics
Besides, the students can realize their dreams of pursuing a Ph.D. in Mathematics from the following reputed Institutions in India:
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai
- Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI), Chennai
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc), Chennai
- Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), Kolkata
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Delhi University, Delhi
And other private Universities like:
- Jain University, Bangalore
- Lovely Professional University
Conclusion of Career Options after M.Sc. Maths
Career options after M.Sc. Maths are multifarious. The course content of the 2-year M.Sc. Maths programme is such that it equips the students with the fundamental knowledge of real-world mathematical problems involving algebraic equations and different pure and advanced mathematical principles.
The core mathematical principles, equations and formulae are extensively used in areas where bulk data is processed at faster pace through computer programmes.
Career options after M.Sc. Maths include either joining the government or private sector in the capacity of - Data Analyst, Data Scientist, Business Analyst, Financial Analyst, Operation Manager, Credit Analyst, or Researcher or pursuing either M.Phil or Ph.D.
The educational experts of Distance Pathshala enable aspiring students to take a well-informed decision while opting for pursuing a particular course from a particular University.
Distance Pathshala enables students to opt for the best University and the most suitable programme and earn a coveted degree to enable them to fulfill their professional goals. The seasoned team of Distance Pathshala does its utmost to provide valuable guidance to the stakeholders, the aspiring students, and their parents and guardians.